Suffolk County Marijuana Possession
Criminal Defense Representation Throughout Suffolk County and Nassau County
In New York, the consequences of marijuana possession can range from a simple fine to a felony conviction and up to 15 years in prison. The Law Offices of Shawn R. Kassman in Central Islip can provide you with a quality defense against New York marijuana possession charges. We represent individuals arrested or charged with a drug crime anywhere throughout Suffolk County and Nassau County, including Bayshore, Oakdale, Sayville, Riverhead, Port Jefferson, Brentwood and Holtsville.
If you are charged with marijuana possession, you may be looking at a citation, a misdemeanor charge or a more serious felony charge (depending on the quantity). Of course, you may also be charged with the sale or distribution of marijuana. When you retain our law firm, you will be assigned an attorney who will handle your defense from start to finish. We believe our reputation in the courtroom, our past successes, and our commitment and hard work lead to better initial plea offers from the prosecution.
To speak with an experienced Suffolk County criminal defense attorney about your New York marijuana possession charges or other criminal matter, please call 631-232-9479 (toll-free 1-888-545-2944).
Experienced Suffolk County Marijuana Possession Defense Lawyer
In New York, the consequences of a conviction for possession of marijuana range from a citation for $100 to up to 15 years in prison, depending on the quantity of marijuana in your possession and the number of previous convictions for marijuana possession against you. If you are found guilty of marijuana possession in New York you may face:
- 25 grams of marijuana or less, first offense – citation and fine for $100
- 25 grams of marijuana or less, second offense – citation and fine for $200
- 25 grams of marijuana or less, third offense – misdemeanor conviction and five days in jail and a fine for $250
- 25 grams or more but less than two ounces of marijuana – misdemeanor conviction, three months in jail and a fine for $500
- Any amount of marijuana where it is open to public view or where it is burning – misdemeanor conviction, three months in jail and a fine for $500
- Two ounces or more but less than eight ounces of marijuana – Class A misdemeanor conviction, one year in jail and a fine for $1,000
- Eight ounces or more but less than 16 ounces of marijuana – Class E felony conviction, one to four years in jail and a fine for $5,000 (second offense requires mandatory jail time)
- 16 ounces or more but less than 10 pounds of marijuana – Class D felony conviction, one to 15 years in jail and a fine for $5,000 (second offense requires mandatory jail time)
- More than 10 pounds of marijuana – Class C felony conviction – one to 15 years in jail and a fine for $5,000 (second offense requires mandatory jail time)
- Possession of paraphernalia (dirty) – misdemeanor conviction, one year in jail and a fine for $1,000
Whether this is your first offense for possession of a small amount of marijuana or a felony possession, you want representation from an attorney who is committed to obtaining the best possible results for you.
Contact Suffolk County Marijuana Defense Attorney Shawn Kassman
If you have questions related to New York marijuana possession drug charges or want more information about the criminal law process, please call criminal defense attorney Shawn Kassman or a member of his legal team at 631-232-9479 (toll-free 1-888-545-2944), or fill out our online intake form. We are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week and defend clients located in Central Islip (main office location), Holtsville (office location), Bayshore, Brentwood, Oakdale, Sayville, Port Jefferson and Riverhead, and both Suffolk and Nassau Counties. Our Central Islip law offices are conveniently located down the street from the courthouse, and we will aggressively fight for your freedom and the protection of your rights.